In many cases, property owners, business owners, and/or contractors should attend a Pre-Submittal Meeting before starting their commercial construction project. These are informational meetings at which an applicant meets with representatives from various City departments and receives information about permitting, development standards, and fees related to their project. Download a Pre-Submittal Application or learn more about Pre-Submittal Meetings.
- Commercial construction or demolition
- Commercial improvements (including fencing, sidewalks, and parking lots)
- Electrical systems and repairs
- Plumbing systems and repairs
- Mechanical systems and repairs (including heating and air conditioning replacement)
- Signs and banners
- Special events
Other commercial projects may also require permits. Contact the Building Inspection Department if you are unsure if your project requires a permit before you start the work!
Zoning & Development Standards
Garland Development Code contains land use regulations (zoning) and development standards for the City of Garland. In order to operate a business at a given location, that property must be correctly zoned and must meet all applicable development standards.
Zoning maps are available through GarlandGIS.com.
For more information about the development and permitting process, visit the Process Overview page.
- FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps